Welcome to our guide on how to easily change your Instagram username. Instagram, a popular social media platform, allows us to connect with friends, family, and even our favorite celebrities. Your Instagram username, a unique identifier, plays a crucial role in how people find and recognize you on the platform.
There could be various reasons why you might want to change your Instagram username – maybe you’ve outgrown your old username, or you’re rebranding your business account. Whatever the reason, changing your Instagram username is a straightforward process, and we’re here to guide you through it. Let’s dive in!
Understanding Instagram Usernames
An Instagram username is like your digital address. It’s how people find you on the platform and interact with you. But what exactly is an Instagram username? It’s the name that appears at the top of your profile and the one that others use to tag you in their posts. It’s different from your display name, which can be anything you like and doesn’t have to be unique.
Instagram has some rules for usernames. They must be less than 30 characters long, can contain letters, numbers, periods, or underscores, but they can’t include any special characters or spaces. And of course, no two users can have the same username.
How to Change Your Instagram Username Easily:
Change Your Instagram Username Easily On Android and iOS:
- Open Instagram and log in.
- Go to your Profile page.
- Tap on “Edit Profile.”
- Tap on the Username box and change it.
Change Your Instagram Username Easily On Android and iOS (alternative method using Accounts Center):
- Open Instagram and log in.
- Go to your Profile page.
- Tap on the three-dash menu in the top right.
- Tap on “Settings & Privacy.”
- Tap on “Accounts Center.”
- Tap on “Profiles” > your username.
- Tap on the “Username” option.
- Edit the username.
Change Instagram username from a computer:
- Go to Instagram.com in your browser.
- Click on “More” at the bottom left or tap on your Profile and then “Edit Profile.”
- Tap on “See More” in the Accounts Centre option.
- Tap on your username, opening a small pop-up box.
- Tap on the “Username” option and change it in the following screen.
Things to Consider Before Changing Your Instagram Username
Before you go ahead and change your Instagram username, there are a few things you should consider:
- Impact on your followers: Changing your username can confuse your followers, especially if you don’t notify them about the change. They might have trouble finding your profile or tagging you in posts.
- Linking to other platforms: If you’ve linked your Instagram account to other social media platforms, you’ll need to update those links to reflect your new username.
- Business considerations: If you’re using Instagram for business, changing your username could impact your brand recognition. Make sure your new username aligns with your brand and is easy for customers to remember.
Remember, changing your Instagram username is a big decision. So, take your time, think it through, and make sure it’s the right move for you. In the next section, we’ll wrap up our guide on how to change your Instagram username easily.
- Best Anonymous Instagram Story Viewer
- How to Fix Instagram Not Opening on Android or iPhone
- Can You Hide Your Instagram Following List? Workarounds Explained
- How to Delete Your Threads Account Without Deleting Your Instagram
That’s it! You now know how to change your Instagram username easily. Remember, your Instagram username is a big part of your online identity. So, choose a username that represents you or your brand well. Don’t rush the process, take your time, and pick a username that you’ll be happy with for a long time. Happy Instagramming!
What is an Instagram username?
An Instagram username, also known as an Instagram handle, is the name part of your Instagram profile URL with the “@” prefix. It serves as your account identifier and directs others to your Instagram profile. The username can include letters, numbers, periods, and underscores, with a maximum length of 30 characters.
Can I get my old username back after I change it?
Instagram doesn’t reserve old usernames, so if you change it, you may not be able to get your old one back.
How often can I change my Instagram username?
Instagram doesn’t limit the number of times you can change your username. However, frequent changes might confuse your followers.
Can someone else take my old username after I change it?
Yes, once you change your username, the old one becomes available for others to use.
What happens to the tags in old posts when I change my username?
When you change your Instagram username, the tags in old posts will automatically update to your new username.
What if the username is already taken?
If your desired username is taken, you can try variations by adding periods, underscores, numbers, abbreviations, or using parts of your name or a popular nickname. Prefixes like The, Real, Thereal, I am, or your professional designation can also be added.
What’s the difference between an Instagram username and display name?
Your Instagram Display Name appears below your profile picture and doesn’t need to be unique. Special characters may not display properly on all devices. The username, visible above your display image, serves as the identifier and URL address for your profile, allowing only periods and underscores, excluding special characters.
Can I change my Instagram name anytime?
You can change your Instagram username, but there’s a 14-day waiting period between changes. Urgent changes can be reported through the Help section of Instagram Settings. You’re limited to two changes within a 14-day period.
Can I revert to a previously used Instagram username?
Yes, Instagram allows you to revert to a previous username within 14 days of the change, provided it hasn’t been taken by someone else or used by an active account you don’t own.
Why can’t I change my Instagram username?
Issues changing your username may arise if you’ve exceeded the two changes in 14 days limit, if the username is already taken, or if it was recently used by another active account. Sometimes, changes made in the app may not immediately reflect due to caching problems. Waiting, restarting your device, or reinstalling the app may resolve this.
What if I forget my Instagram username?
If you forget your Instagram username, try logging in using your registered mobile number and password. Once logged in, you can find your username on the profile page.