Top 10 Kali Linux Tools for Hacking: Offensive Security maintains Kali Linux, a Debian-derived Linux distribution. Mati Aharoni and Devon Kearns collaborated to create it.
Kali Linux is a specially developed operating system for network analysts, penetration testers, and other security and analytic professionals.
Kali Linux’s official website is Kali.org. It became well-known after appearing in the Mr. Robot television series.
It is not intended for public usage; rather, it is intended for professionals or individuals who are familiar with Linux or Kali. Check out the official guide to learn how to install Kali Linux.
When performing penetration testing or hacking, we may need to automate our operations because there may be hundreds of conditions and payloads to test, and testing them manually is tedious.
That would save time; we utilize tools that come pre-installed with Kali Linux. These tools save us time while also capturing correct data and producing customized results.
Kali Linux has more than 350 tools that can be used for hacking and penetration testing. Here is a list of useful Kali Linux tools that can save you a lot of time and effort.
Top 10 Kali Linux Tools For Hacking:
Nmap is an open system interconnection scanner for reconfiguring and scanning networks. It’s used to find hosts, ports, and services on a network, as well as their versions.
It sends the packet to the host and then analyzes the responses to get the desired outcomes.
It will also be used for host finding, detection of operating systems, and port scanning. One of the most widely used reconnaissance tools.
To use nmap:
- To obtain the IP address of the host, use the ping command.
- Open a terminal window and type the following command.
- Replace the IP address of the host you want to scan with your own.
- It will show all of the host’s captured information.
As the request travels through the burp suite, we can make changes to it as needed, which is useful for testing vulnerabilities like XSS and SQLi, as well as any other web-related issue.
Burp Suite Community Edition is free with Kali Linux, but there is a paid version of this application called Burp Suite Professional that has a lot more features than Burp Suite Community Edition.
To use burp suite:
- Type “burpsuite” into the terminal.
- Turn on the interceptor switch under the Proxy tab.
- Visit any URL now to see if the request has been captured.
Wireshark is a network security program that analyzes and manipulates data transferred over the internet. It can be used to examine packets sent across a network.
The source and destination IP addresses, the protocol used, the data, and various headers may all be included in these packets.
The packets usually have a “.pcap” extension and can be viewed with the Wireshark program.
To use Wireshark:
- Download a demo pcap file and open Wireshark.
- To open a pcap file in Wireshark, press “ctrl+o.”
- It can now be observed that it displays the list of packets as well as their headers.
Rapid Technologies created Metasploit, which is an open-source technology. It is one of the most widely used penetration testing frameworks in the world. It includes numerous exploits for the exploitation of network or operating system vulnerabilities.
Metasploit is typically used on a local network, although it can also be used on remote computers via “port forwarding.” Metasploit is mostly a command-line program, but it also includes a GUI package called “armitage” that makes using Metasploit more convenient and feasible.
To use metasploit:
- Metasploit comes pre-installed with Kali Linux
- Just enter “msfconsole” in the terminal
Aircrack is a packet sniffer, WEP and WPA/WPA2 cracker, analyzer, and hash capture utility all in one. It’s a tool for hacking WIFI networks.
It aids in the capture of packages and the readout of their hashes, as well as the breaking of those hashes using various attacks, such as dictionary attacks. It works with practically all modern wireless connections.
To use aircrack-ng:
- Kali Linux includes aircrack-ng pre-compiled.
- To use it, simply type aircrack-ng into the terminal.
Netcat is a networking utility for working with ports and performing tasks such as port scanning, listening, and redirection.
This command is also useful for debugging and testing network daemons. This gadget is known as the networking equivalent of the Swiss army knife.
It can also be used to perform TCP, UDP, or UNIX-domain socket operations, as well as open remote connections and much more.
To use netcat:
- Kali Linux comes with Netcat pre-installed.
- To use the tool, simply type “nc” or “netcat” into the terminal.
- Type the following commands in two terminals to do port listening.
John the Ripper
John the Ripper is a fantastic tool for breaking passwords using well-known brute-force tactics such as dictionary and bespoke wordlist attacks.
It can also be used to crack passwords or credentials for zipped or compressed data, as well as locked files. It provides a plethora of choices for cracking hashes and passwords.
To use John the Ripper:
- In Kali Linux, John the Ripper is already installed.
- To use the tool, simply type “john” into the terminal.
One of the greatest tools for doing SQL injection attacks is sqlmap. It simply automates the process of checking a parameter for SQL injection, as well as the process of exploiting the susceptible parameter.
It’s a fantastic tool because it automatically recognizes the database, so all we have to do is submit a URL to see if the parameter in the URL is susceptible.
We could even utilize the requested file to check for POST arguments.
To use sqlmap tool:
- In Kali Linux, sqlmap is already installed.
- To use it, simply type sqlmap in the terminal.
Autopsy is a computer forensics tool for collecting information from forensics. To put it another way, this program is used to look through files or logs to see what precisely was done with the system.
It can also be used to restore data from a memory stick or removable media.
- How to Fix Linux Installation on Chromebook
- How to Fix Linux Vulnerabilities
- Kali Linux 2022.2 is Released For Download
To use autopsy tool:
- Kali Linux comes with Autopsy pre-installed.
- Simply put “autopsy” into your terminal.
Social Engineering Toolkit
The Social Engineering Toolkit is a set of tools for performing social engineering assaults. For information collecting, these tools use and alter human behavior. It’s also a wonderful tool for phishing websites.
To use the Social Engineering Toolkit
- Kali Linux comes with the Social Engineering Toolkit pre-installed.
- In the terminal, type “setoolkit.”
- To use the social engineering toolbox, agree to the terms and conditions.
Kali Linux actually comes with quite a few utilities. To locate them all, go to Kali Linux’s official tool listing website. Some will be totally free and open source, while others will be proprietary solutions (yet free). However, you should always choose premium editions for commercial use.